Pages

Google+ Followers

Saturday, June 28, 2014

"Revealing Ramadan" by Krista Tippett at OnBeing.org



"14 Muslims, in their own words, speak about the delights 
and gravity of Islam's holiest month. Through vivid 
memories and light-hearted musings, they reveal the
 richness of Ramadan — as a period of intimacy, and 
of parties; of getting up when the world is quiet 
for breakfast and prayers with one's family; of 
breaking the fast every day after nightfall in 
celebration and prayers with friends and strangers."
--Krista Tippett at OnBeing.org
Happy Ramandan, to all my Muslim Googlers!
In the spirit of respect and appreciation for 
the major religions, which have been most beneficial,
 as a whole, to humanity, and continue to be so, 
please listen to this podcast.
It is NOT religion, itself, that has been "hurtful" 
to some, but people, themselves, who, in the name of
 religion, have coopted it to do their "ills."  And 
so those of us, who are less-human, less empathetic,
 fearful of NOT being loved, accepted, thus have
 manipulated part(s) of religion to control our 
external environments.  Religion, though, on the
 whole, remains most important for our species, 
for it gives us the sacred, which we all need 
and can use to bring us together and NOT pull 
us apart, for the sacred offers us a great point
 of commonality to start the conversation, which 
can lead to understanding, respect, and ultimately
 peace, which we all seek and need in our own everyday lives.

Excerpts:
"Ibrahim Al-Marashi: I was studying as an undergrad 
at UCLA, and I remember that, during the day,
 a fellow Iraqi-Muslim who doesn't practice 
the faith, she knew I was fasting, yet she was 
still eating an ice cream in my face to kind 
of taunt my practice of my religious belief 
at the university. I remember that moment because
 usually when you think about Muslims, you think
 of this one monolithic block who's engaged in kind
 of these Islamic rituals without any kind of 
deviation, yet I still remember this girl eating
 her Baskin & Robbins ice cream in the classroom.
 At the same time, there was this Jewish person
 in the class, a Jew from Iran. He also had an 
ice cream. It was a very hot day. He knew I was
 fasting and he walked out of the classroom. 
It just goes to show me that, you know, you
 have this kind of image of Judaism and Islam
 locked in this kind of intractable conflict. 
Yet it's those kind of daily moments that here
 is a Jew from Iran more considerate of my religious
 beliefs than a fellow Iraqi-Muslim. That kind 
of reminded me that it doesn't matter what religion
 you are. You could be sensitive to other peoples' beliefs.
I mean, one of the interests I have, particularly living
 in Islamic Spain, is this kind of interplay of this 
kind of harmony in Jewish-Muslim relations as well as
 what the Spanish term the convivencia, the ability
 of Spaniards, Jews, Muslims, and Christians alike to
 live together. This is one of the areas I find 
that's fascinating to research. I often remember that
 Ramadan incident when I'm reading various books
 and sources on the subject."
Once again, Happy Ramadan!
Let us not "throw out the baby with the bath water."  
Let us disregard, and transcend the part(s) of religion
 that have been corrupted and keep the better, best parts
 of the whole, which remain--I am happy 
to report--the greater of the two.  Let's do
 it for our humanity's sake.
With agape,
Mondo

No comments:

Post a Comment