Pages

Google+ Followers

Monday, March 25, 2013

Half-truths

Half-truths
To deceive ourselves, we, sometimes, believe or tell ourselves half-truths,  Anytime we tell ourselves or others:  "I am an alcoholic; I do not like to ask for help; I do not enjoy Jazz music; I like pizzas; I hate Rap music;" we are essentially deceiving ourselves by ending such thought with a period or a finality; preferably we should always add the following words, to that thought:  at the moment; at this stage; at this juncture. Or it should just be a given in our thought pattern--although unspoken!
Such pattern is very hard to release, since I am, in essence, that very pattern, and if I were to relinquish it, who would I be then.  Who would I be, If I were no longer an alcoholic?  My alcoholism becomes my very being, essentially, or raison d'etre.
But the truth or the whole truth is, that I am only an alcoholic, at this stage in my life.  As the writer Anais Ninn puts it, "Life is a process of becoming; a combination of states we have to go through.  Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it.  This is a kind of death."  Living is naturally dynamic, thus when one chooses to be static, he then enters into a state that is truly opposite to life, or simply put, death.
The question still remains:  Why do we tell ourselves those kinds of half-truths abouth ourselves?

The Human brain loves patterns.  It is said that, "The neural network of the brain is a patterning system."  But to say that we are our repeated behaviors is another half-truth, for we are much more than our behaviors.  Our behaviors, as individuals, create our man-made world or material world, but our spiritual world or humanity is unaffected by our behaviors as individuals, if one truly understands the minuteness of the role the individual plays in creating human essence.

Those half-truths give us a sense of efficiency, order, and consistency; and we love ourselves and others to be not fickle, but constant.  Thus we set ourselves up for hardship, in wanting to be constant, or static, when we ought to be dynamic, like Mother Nature.


No comments:

Post a Comment